I’m once again stealing this idea from Bookishly Boisterous (and hey, we’re both miserably hot in our respective geographic locations). Even though I created a list of ten things, I mostly just wanted to share the second one on the list (because…really?).
1. I’ve started watching The Walking Dead. I liked it, the first episode scared me (which is appropriate, I should think). I was sold on the show once one of the characters quoted Faulkner.
2. I went to lunch the other day – Wednesday, specifically. I brought a book with me, as I’m wont to do. I was interrupted. The guy sitting at the table beside me asked what I was reading (Storm Front by John Sandford). Then he asked me how I got it, because he likes Sandford too (from the publisher). And then he asked me if he could have it. Um, no. AND THEN, he sits down at my table, without asking. Prior to this, I thought I had mastered the back off look. I know I am not the only one who gets annoyed when interrupted while reading, right? See Cheap Thrills and The Well Read Red-Head’s thoughts on it.
3. On a happier note, a few good things happened this week. Those of you who follow me on twitter will already know about two of them. First, I saw my neighbor out walking his two cats on leashes, it was grand. Second, I saw Melissa Etheridge in concert (I still like I’m the Only One and I had a free ticket). Third, I was paid for my exceptional library reference service skills in organic dark chocolate by a library patron (who also quoted The Matrix to me) – so thanks dude, I’m still thinking about that chocolate.
4. My interview last week apparently went well enough. I didn’t think it went particularly great, but they notified me yesterday that the committee voted to grant me a second interview. Terrifying, is all I have to say about that…
5. There is a local theater a couple of blocks from my work. I went to see Austenland there this week and as the local paper says “it nails the foibles of new love with uncommon spirit”. It’a very cute, if forgettable. There’s an airport scene….groan. Also, the theater plays a throwback movie every Fri/Sat night. Tonight’s movie is Clueless. Yes.
6. I host a science book club seasonally. Fall’s session will begin shortly. There were three sessions, one hosted by me and two hosted by my other two coworkers. My session was the only one that sold out; the sales for the other two sessions were so low that they were cancelled. I’m strangely proud of that. I feel like saying “you like me, you really like me”, to quote Sally Field.
7. I am so sick of seeing things like “Yes, I have a daughter. I also have a gun, a shovel, and an alibi.” It’s ridiculous. Instead, I love (and recommend) this article: ‘Dear Daughter, I Hope You Have Awesome Sex’. Full disclosure: I don’t have a daughter. Should at some point in the distant future I have one; I’d like to think I’d stand by this article (assuming my daughter is of appropriate age, 13 is not an appropriate to be having awesome sex).
8. I hope jumpsuits and rompers (on adults) disappear off the face of the earth. Shoulder pads might as well go with them. Although of note, J. Crew is attempting to bring back the mix tape. I approve.
9. Denver (and the west coast as well) is in the middle of a heat wave. The daytime high hasn’t dropped below the nineties in I don’t know how long. We’ve set a new record high for several days in a row (Yesterday: 97F) and officially ventured beyond 50+ days over 90 degrees. Do you want to know how hot it is? It’s really fucking hot. It’s making finishing up my home library difficult. Paint doesn’t like hot weather.
(I’ll attempt to remind myself that I complained about it being 100 degrees when I’m complaining because it’s 5F with a foot of snow).
10. I’m in a mini-book slump. I’ve started several books, none of which have captured my interest. I don’t even know what I’m looking for in my next book. I just want it to be wholly engrossing. So, I’ll ask, what is the best book you’ve read recently? Any genre is fine…
So how has your week been? Does anyone even know what goes on in a second interview? I have no clue. I’ve only ever been on (and been hired after) one interview…