Subtitle: The Liebster and Sunshine Award.
So I won two awards in 12 hours (I feel special). My prize is a meme. I’m lucky I had a snow day, there are a lot of questions here (and a few rules, which I’m modifying for convenience).
11 Random Facts that are personal, without really being personal:
1. I am ambidextrous and double jointed.
2. This will not be funny to anyone else, but I was at lunch with my best friend of TEN years and I laughed at something, then he looks at me and asks “When did you get dimples?”. And he was serious. Then I called him a bad name. Random (and apparently not prominent) fact: I have dimples.
3. I have never broken a bone, but I have had a severe concussion and well over 200 hundred stitches in my lifetime.
4. As badly as I want to, I don’t like avocados.
5. I love going to the dentist and the doctor. They’re the only people who routinely tell me I’m perfect. Plus I like getting my teeth cleaned, I find it relaxing.
6. I’ve never tried a coffee/latte/cappuccino/etc., Mountain Dew (and most soda in general), or an energy drink. It might be why the dentist likes me.
7. I’ve never watched CSI, American Idol, The Bachelor/Bacherlorette, or Teen Mom. I have lived off and on without a TV, though I have one now (but no cable). I do have Netflix.
8. High Fidelity quite possibly ruined my life. I think in top fives more than I care to admit. And…
“I agreed that what really matters is what you like, not what you are like… Books, records, films – these things matter”.
I don’t really believe that. But John Cusack made being a jerk seem like a good lifestyle choice.
9. I love love stories and love songs (and consider the best love song to be either Lovesong or Stand by Me), but hate romance in the traditional sense.
10. I like to argue, for fun.
11. I am only in the 15th percentile for adult female height. However, short people live longer and all of the best actresses are short (Reese Witherspoon, Christina Ricci, Veronica Lake, Rachel Bilson, Natalie Portman, Vivien Leigh, Hayden Panettiere, The Olsen twins – I’m using the term best loosely).
Questions, questions, questions (first Liebster and then Sunshine)….
1. Which word do you say more often: yes or no? Yes, and not just because I went to a seminar on alternative ways to say no.
2. Would you rather be rich or respected? I work hard to be both, but ultimately being respected would mean more.
3. Where are all the good men dead; in the heart or the head? Tough, head maybe.
4. Which film did I steal that from (don’t use t’internet to cheat)? Grosse Point Blank (said by Minnie Driver’s character?), which I believe modified it from a line in The Merchant of Venice, but as I cannot cheat, I cannot verify.
5. 5 changes you’d like to see in the world? An increase/improvement in the following: equality, kindness, education, tolerance, health care.
6. What song should I listen to right now? Songs, feel free to pick only one. Eels – Your Lucky Day in Hell (blame #4), Jakob Dylan – Everybody’s Hurtin’, Wild Belle – Keep You, Johnny Winter – You’ll Be the Death of Me, Lord Huron – Time To Run. (I almost listed Emily Wells – Becomes the Color, Vampire Weekend – Oxford Comma, and Hey Marseilles – Heart Beats).
7. If a tree falls in a forest, hits a man and there are no women to see it; is it still the man’s fault? Only if he was trying to cut it down.
8. A child asks you for a life lesson. What lesson would you give? Work hard, be nice, ask questions, and listen. And eat your vegetables.
9. You get to spend an evening with any historical figure: who and why? I’d need to answer this everyday for at least a year. For today, Albert Einstein. We’re both INTP, so it might be a stilted conversation However, I’d love to hear his thoughts on the value of scientific advancement versus the dangers it creates. Einstein advised nuclear fission research, but then criticized (and rightly so) it’s use.
10. Which is the best room in the house and why? I’m equating best with favorite (and not with practical or useful). Bedroom. Sleeping, reading, etc.
11. You’re on death row for a crime you didn’t commit but with no chance of parole. What’s your last meal, and why? Pizza with basil and pineapple. It’s my favorite and I’m too embarrassed (and usually outvoted) to eat it normally because people find the combination revolting.
Sunshine Award Questions
1. Who is your favourite philosopher? Although he is not my favorite, I’ve spent the most time reading Friedrich Nietzsche.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
2. What is your favourite number?42. Not really. It’s 17. It’s prime and the least random number (17 is a fabulous number, read about it if you’re so inclined).
3. What is your favourite animal? I don’t have one.
4. What are your Facebook and Twitter URLs? You can click the links in my menu button, I’m very boring though.
5. What is your favourite time of day? Night (maybe 12:30am). If left to my own devices, I’d probably be nocturnal.
6. What was your favourite vacation? Kauai is nearly perfect, as is Sweden. I enjoy going home to Boston too (best pizza in the US, no contest).
7. What is your favourite physical activity? Swimming.
8. What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink? Water.
9. What is your favourite flower? Tulips.
10. What is your passion? Living. I’m lucky to have lived as long as I have and hope to live at least 60 years more. Aside from that, the usual: movies, music, food, traveling, family and friends.
Here’s the part I’m modifying. You should absolutely go visit the following blogs, but I won’t make them do this (plus I’m being lazy and not checking their follower count), I’ll just tell them about it.
So I will leave it up to them. For those of you who like to be official, the actual rules are:
1. The Liebster Award is given by bloggers to bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
2. Each blogger should post 11 random facts about themselves.
3. Each blogger should answer the 11 questions given to you.
4. Choose 11 new bloggers to pass the award on to and link them in your post.
5. Create 11 new questions for the chosen bloggers.
6. Go back to their page and tell them about the award.
7. No tag backs.
Rules for the Sunshine Award:
- If you are nominated you must include the link in a blog, linking to the person/blog that nominated you.
- You must answer some questions and nominate 10 fellow bloggers and link their blogs in your post. Let the people you have nominated know that you have nominated them!
If you qualify (and I know a few of you don’t, but you still deserve a mention) and if you’d like a favorable way to waste time, do it. The rest of you, check them out, they don’t all talk about genres I read (and on occasion they even omit books), but they are all very lovely people. And you’ve all won the sunshine award if you choose to accept it.
Picture Me Reading
Just Book Reading
Cheap Thrills Book Blog
So if you choose to accept it, I’ve edited the post to include the 11 questions I’m supposed to create (it’s amazing what internet guilt can do):
1. Would you rather see sunrise or sunset?
2. Which book do you reread most often? Or do you not reread?
3. Do like to be scared (i.e. scary movie, roller-coaster)?
4. If so (or not), what scares you the most? For example, I am most frightened of aliens.
5. If you could choose, which superpower would you have?
6. What movie (or book, album, etc.) are you most anticipating this year? (I’m fairly certain I know the answer for a few of you, but I’d still like to know.)
7. What is your favorite song(s) of all time?
8. What is your guiltiest pleasure that you’re willing to admit? I, for example, don’t change the radio station when Taylor Swift comes on.
9. Do you have any tattoos? If you don’t and had to get one, what would it be?
10. What is your favorite (not best or hardest, but favorite) accomplishment?
11. What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
It might be the only time in my life I can say somebody thought of me and sunshine in the same sentence. And I might be inclined to send someone an award if they read through this entire post. At the very least, you deserve a gold star…