In general, books are almost always better than the movies. The amount of detail and nuance that can be infused into a novel is much greater than can be put into a 90 minute movie. However, there are quite a few movies out there that are as good, if not not better, than their original source material. Here are ten movies that I enjoyed at least as much, if not more, than the novel they were based on.
10. Shutter Island, original story by Dennis Lehane.
9. The Godfather, original by Mario Puzo.
8. Misery, original by Stephen King.
7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey (realistically, both of these were great).
6. Drive, original by James Sallis (good book, great movie)
5. Silence of the Lambs, original by Thomas Harris.
4. Stand by Me, original short story by Stephen King.
3. The Last of the Mohicans, original by James Fenimore Cooper (a tough read).
2. Breakfast at Tiffany’s, original by Truman Capote.
1. The Shawshank Redemption, original short story by Stephen King.
What do you think? Agree? Disagree? Do you think a movie can ever truly best a book?